What do you get when you cross a fragrance with an actor?
Answer: a smell Gibson.
Groan away, but you should know that this joke was written by a computer. “Smell Gibson” is the C.P.U. child of something called Standup (for System to Augment Non-Speakers’ Dialogue Using Puns), a program that generates punning riddles to help kids with language disabilities increase their verbal skills.
Though it’s not quite Louis C. K., the Standup program, engineered by a team of computer scientists in Scotland, is one of the more successful efforts to emerge from a branch of artificial intelligence known as computational humor, which seeks to model comedy using machines.
As verbal interaction between humans and computers becomes more prominent in daily life — from Siri, Apple’s voice-activated assistant technology, to speech-based search engines to fully automated call centers — demand has grown for “social computers” that can communicate with humans in a natural way. Teaching computers to grapple with humor is a key part of this equation.
“Humor is everywhere in human life,” says the Purdue computer scientist Julia M. Taylor, who helped organize the first-ever United States symposium on the artificial intelligence of humor, in November. If we want a computational system to communicate with human life, it needs to know how to be funny, she says.
As it turns out, this is one of the most challenging tasks in computer science. Like much of language, humor is loaded with abstraction and ambiguity. To understand it, computers need to contend with linguistic sleights like irony, sarcasm, metaphor, idiom and allegory — things that don’t readily translate into ones and zeros.
218 Notes/ Hide
- staymayfay reblogged this from trustmeiamascientist
- dogda reblogged this from liquidzoot
- captainredram reblogged this from zimnovoi
- dollydahlia reblogged this from liquidzoot
- waterman12053 reblogged this from inothernews
- steeples reblogged this from inothernews
- travellyr reblogged this from inothernews
- andrewnonumbers likes this
- justwannajump reblogged this from scinerds
- faundlyregardcreation reblogged this from agaywalksintoabar
- minyap reblogged this from inothernews
- wozziebear reblogged this from scinerds
- mare-moo likes this
- yunglavender likes this
- zimnovoi reblogged this from scinerds
- mcscooterson likes this
- jsimonsmith reblogged this from inothernews
- supergoodblogger reblogged this from pwnator
- riggmarole likes this
- theloneliestbanana reblogged this from scinerds
- frostingfreak likes this
- frostingfreak reblogged this from onechair-barbershop
- pineneedlecollective likes this
- mangy-mongrel reblogged this from scinerds
- cosmictuesdays likes this
- sdgrave reblogged this from theycallmegomer
- pourcupinegloves reblogged this from scinerds
- fartmountain reblogged this from inothernews
- theycallmegomer reblogged this from inothernews
- riemannsphere likes this
- remmyvsthelions likes this
- glorial likes this
- sparkerpants likes this
- theycallmegomer likes this
- katastrepho likes this
- iwasslicingupanavocado likes this
- jeremyfuksa likes this
- fakestginger reblogged this from interabang
- chzpza reblogged this from inothernews
- chzpza likes this
- karinanotcinerina likes this
- phantom-shell-0 likes this
- guinanxyz likes this
- pasky likes this
- interabang reblogged this from scinerds
- nicky36 likes this
- snowmelttiger reblogged this from scinerds
- fudgesmonkey reblogged this from scinerds
- spookierthanatoms likes this
- knowledgesponge likes this